I work as a Programmer/Analyst at Population Data BC in Vancouver, British Columbia. PopData serves as an intermediary between various governmental ministries which hold personal data of BC residents and researches who wish to access the data. PopData ensures that the records are correctly linked and the data is provided to researchers in a secure, anonymized fashion.
At PopData, I perform data linkage on a variety of BC provincial datasets to facilitate public health research. I also work on developing and evaluating new software for data linkage, particularly privacy-preserving record linkage (PPRL).
Previously I worked for several years as an MRI Data Analyst at the UBC MRI Research Centre and the UBC Department of Pediatrics. There I developed software for the quantitative analysis of cutting edge MRI techniques, and authored/contributed to several papers using those techniques to investigate concussion, multiple sclerosis, ostearthritis and other pathologies.
I received my Masters of Science in Particle Physics at the University of Victoria, working on Monte Carlo simulations of collision events in the ATLAS detector at the Large Hadron Collider as part of the search for the Higgs Boson.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I'm also on twitter at @mikejarrett_
I created the Vancouver Bikeshare Bot, a twitter bot that send daily updates about bikeshare usage in Vancouver. The bot is built on a suite of custom Python code which queries Mobi bikeshare's station API, estimates the number of trips beginning and ending at each station, and produces a variety of visualizations and summary statistics.
Along with the Bikeshare Bot, I periodically post analyses of Mobi bikeshare usage on my blog, featuring both my estimated trip counts and the official data which is released periodically. I also created BikeData Vancouver, a web app for exploring Mobi system data.
I also created the Vancouver Bus Bot, which occasionally tweets out gifs of the movement of buses in Vancouver.
I was the lead data analyst and study coordinator for an MRI study of hockey concussions in which athletes received MRI scans before and after a season of collegiate hockey, and in the case of concussion recieved an additional MRI within 3 days of the injury. The study has led to multiple publications and among other results showed that damage to brain tissue can be observed after a season of hockey even in athletes who did not get diagnosed with a concussion.
At the UBC MRI Research Centre, I developed protocols for performing MRI scans while using the Respiract Gas Control System, a device which allows researchers to target blood O2 and CO2 levels during dynamic MRI scans. I also wrote analysis software to model the BOLD MRI signal response to modulations in blood CO2.
M.Sc. Physics, University of Victoria, 2011
B.Sc. (Hon) Physics, University of Guelph, 2007
- Myelin water fraction is transiently reduced after a single mild traumatic brain injury–A prospective cohort study in collegiate hockey players Alexander D Wright, Michael Jarrett, Irene Vavasour, Elham Shahinfard, Shannon Kolind, Paul van Donkelaar, Jack Taunton, David Li, Alexander Rauscher PloS one 11 (2), e0150215 36 2016
- A prospective pilot investigation of brain volume, white matter hyperintensities, and hemorrhagic lesions after mild traumatic brain injury Michael Jarrett, Roger Tam, Enedino Hernández-Torres, Nancy Martin, Warren Perera, Yinshan Zhao, Elham Shahinfard, Shiroy Dadachanji, Jack Taunton, David KB Li, Alexander Rauscher Frontiers in neurology 7, 11 26 2016
- A prospective study of the influence of acute alcohol intoxication versus chronic alcohol consumption on outcome following traumatic brain injury Rael T Lange, Jason R Shewchuk, Alexander Rauscher, Michael Jarrett, Manraj KS Heran, Jeffrey R Brubacher, Grant L Iverson Archives of clinical neuropsychology 29 (5), 478-495 22 2014
- To exclude or not to exclude: further examination of the influence of white matter hyperintensities in diffusion tensor imaging research Rael T Lange, Jason R Shewchuk, Manraj KS Heran, Alexander Rauscher, Michael Jarrett, Jeffrey R Brubacher, Grant L Iverson Journal of neurotrauma 31 (2), 198-205 17 2014
- Pathological Insights From Quantitative Susceptibility Mapping and Diffusion Tensor Imaging in Ice Hockey Players Pre and Post-concussion Alexander M Weber, Anna Pukropski, Christian Kames, Michael Jarrett, Shiroy Dadachanji, Jack Taunton, David KB Li, Alexander Rauscher Frontiers in neurology 9, 575 2 2018
- Cartilage recovery in runners with and without knee osteoarthritis: A pilot study Jean-Francois Esculier, Michael Jarrett, Natasha M Krowchuk, Alexander Rauscher, Vanessa Wiggermann, Jack E Taunton, David R Wilson, Anthony A Gatti, Michael A Hunt The Knee 2019
- Myelin Water Atlas: A Template for Myelin Distribution in the Brain Hanwen Liu, Cristina Rubino, Adam V Dvorak, Michael Jarrett, Emil Ljungberg, Irene M Vavasour, Lisa Eunyoung Lee, Shannon H Kolind, Erin L MacMillan, Anthony Traboulsee, Donna J Lang, Alexander Rauscher, David KB Li, Alexander L MacKay, Lara A Boyd, John LK Kramer, Cornelia Laule Journal of Neuroimaging 2019
- Effects of running on knee cartilage in female runners with and without osteoarthritis: a pilot study J-F Esculier, M Jarrett, NM Krowchuk, A Rauscher, V Wiggermann, JE Taunton, D Wilson, A Gatti, MA Hunt Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 27, S347 2019
- FLAIR2 improves LesionTOADS automatic segmentation of multiple sclerosis lesions in non-homogenized, multi-center, 2D clinical magnetic resonance images M Le, LYW Tang, E Hernández-Torres, M Jarrett, T Brosch, L Metz, DKB Li, A Traboulsee, RC Tam, A Rauscher, V Wiggermann NeuroImage: Clinical 23, 101918 2019
- FLAIR2 improves automatic lesion segmentation over FLAIR in MS patients M Le, A Rauscher, T Brosch, Y Yoo, L Tang, M Jarrett, A Traboulsee, DKB Li, R Tam MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS JOURNAL 22, 208-209 2016
- Outcome from Concurrent Traumatic Brain Injury and Alcohol Misuse: Influence of Acute Versus Chronic Alcohol Consumption R Lange, J Brubacher, J Shewchuk, M Heran, M Jarrett, A Rauscher, G Iverson ARCHIVES OF CLINICAL NEUROPSYCHOLOGY 28 (6), 608-608 2013
- Satellite-Mounted Light Sources as Photometric Calibration Standards J Albert, K Foster, J Battat, G Dupuis, K Fransham, K Koopmans, M Jarrett arXiv preprint arXiv:0908.3343 4 2009